Thursday, July 27, 2006

Gerty, Blankie and Cow

These are the girls' lovies.

They have slept with their lovies almost since they were born, they are really attached. I have always been so good about making sure we have 2 of each...just in case the unthinkable happens. Gerty is the mangy yellow giraffe looking blanket lovey which belongs to Claire. The blankie and "well-loved" cow (named Hortense) belong to Olivia.

Of course, this weekend, the unthinkable happened, but there was nothing we could do. About a week before, we planned for a short trip to the coast to Santa Barbara to go to the zoo, the beach and do some shopping. We planned to stay 1 night in a hotel. The next morning I had an appointment with a Lasik surgeon for a consultation.

So, Sunday morning, I'm running around throwing things into our bag...clothes, diapers, bathing suits, shampoo, toothbrushes, etc. I felt so rushed. So then we hit the road about 8:30 in the morning. About a 30 minutes from home, I said "Sh*t, we left their lovies"...and my heart dropped. How were we going to get them to go to bed??? Well, we just hoped everything would be okay and maybe we can buy them a special buddy at the zoo or something.

They had a grand time at the zoo and they even got special gifts. They had this place at the Santa Barbara Zoo where you could pick out an animal and have it stuffed, they are Animaland stuffed animals. Olivia picked out a tan and white kitty and Claire picked out the girliest, pinkest, poodle puppy. They really took to their newfound 'friends'. After the zoo, we headed to the beach while trying to keep Claire awake. I figured if we wore them out, they will crash and not mind they don't have their lovies. They had a fabulous time at the zoo building sand castles and playing near the water.

After a while there, we headed to the hotel, then dinner. After dinner, my hubby took Olivia for a swim while I tried to get Claire to go to sleep. I read to her, then sang to her as normal, then I gave her her new puppy and put her to bed. I went into the bedroom (there were 2 rooms in the hotel) and rested while I waited for her to go to sleep. Although I did hear "where's Gerty?" and "I want Gerty" a few times, silence came quicker than I thought. About 30 minutes later, Olivia came back with her dad and we found that Claire had thrown her new puppy out of the crib!

Next, it was Olivia's turn to go to bed. So after I got her ready for bed and tucked her in, she asked "Where's blankie? Where's cow?" So I gave her kitty and told her "I'm sorry, blankie and cow are still at home, but kitty will keep you company, is that okay?" She just looked at me with her big brown eyes. She didn't look that convinced. So I said "We got you kitty so she could help you sleep". I guess it was okay because she went to sleep and we didn't hear a peep until morning.

2 comments:

ramblingmuse said...

My niece is very attached to her "fi bao" (blankie) too. My sister left it at home when they went on vacation once. She tried to be smart about it by buying an exact copy of it, hoping my niece wouldn't notice. My niece wasn't that gullible, so my sister just said they forgot blankie at home. That was that. My niece just shrugged it off and went to sleep. LOL. Go figure!

Leslie said...

That just goes to show you that it's mommy and daddy that make them really feel at ease not just their lovies. Doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy. ;)
That's pretty cute about C throwing the dog out of her crib. LOL
I'd be terrified if we went on an ovenight trip without Z's Elmo and her blanky, YIKES!!!!!!!!!!