Monday, February 20, 2006

More about my hand surgery

The names of the tendons I cut are FDS and FDP flexor tendons. One makes the tip of the finger move, the other makes it bend at the next joint above the knuckle. I also cut the ulnar digital median nerve. The tendons act like rubber bands and run down into the arm to allow the fingers to move, the tendons that work the fingers all work together. One flexor tendon runs along on top of the other one, so it's necessary I do lots of physical therapy to prevent the scar tissue from making them 'stick' together. The surgery to reattach the tendons and nerve took about 2 and a half hours. I was lucky the tendon did not retract into my arm, the surgeon only had to cut about a 1/2 an inch into my palm to retrieve the tendon.

The accident wasn't too painful, I think because I was in shock and had adrenaline rushing. The recovery from surgery was a bit more painful (I was knocked out for the surgery). Thank God for Vicodin! The Vicodin helped but I didn't like taking it because it made me nauseous.

I had to keep my arm elevated for a week after surgery, thus I couldn't use it to do anything. My hand and forearm (except for my thumb) were immobilzed for 2 weeks. I had to relearn how to do things one handed for a while. Have you ever tried to change a messy diaper one-handed? Or get dressed one handed? Or fold laundry? Or open a jar? It really made me appreciate my hands more!

4 comments:

Highlandgal said...

I can't imagine how challenging it is for a surgeon to retrieve a tendon and reattach it. And then waiting for it to heal must feel like forever. I'm glad you got on the orthopedist quickly or this all could have been such a disaster.

Anonymous said...

I can so relate to that, just having had surgery on both wrists, one after the other.

You're right vicodin is good stuff.

4texans said...

Luckily, dh had 2 weeks off for the holidays right after surgery and we were visiting friends and relatives so I had lots of help.

Zeenat said...

Great job man! Hospitals offering Hand surgery in Thailand