Tuesday, August 22, 2006

My neighbors calll it 'backyard living'

And I don't like it! When we moved here, we noticed people don't come out in the neighborhood. It makes me miss Texas where kids ride their bikes on the sidewalk, play in the front yard, kids play at the neighborhood parks, neighbors chat over the fence (actually people did this too where we lived in the Bay area). I just don't feel a sense of community here. I was really gung-ho about exploring our new town, especially with everyone commenting how friendly everyone is here. Why don't people come out of their houses? Yes, I know it gets HOT, into the tripe digits (sometimes 110+), but what about on the nice days when it is only in the 80's? I guess everyone is enjoying their pool, but I'm anxious to see what it's like when the weather really cools off. I think I'm going to attempt to start a neighborhood playgroup. I'll let you know how it goes...

4 comments:

nowwhatelmo said...

Personally, I am all for backyard livin! LMAO!

I hope that your playgroup is a success!

4texans said...

Well, I meant kids play in their own front yards, lol!!

Erin said...

Good luck with the playgroup! I hope you can rally the neighborhood together!

ramblingmuse said...

I miss the neighborly thing too sometimes. I guess every city or neighborhood is different. Maybe everyone's too shy to be the first one to extend themselves? Good luck with the playgroup. It sounds like a great idea!