Monday, August 21, 2006

The longest birthday party ever...

A week ago, Olivia went to a birthday party for one of her classmates who was turning 4. I was eager for an opportunity to meet other moms, especially SAHMs (Stay At Home Moms) since I haven't met any since we have moved here. So the party starts at 4, so I think it will last until 6...birthday parties are normally about 2 hours, right??? You would think... We left this party close to 8pm and it was still going on.

It was a swim/princess party so the kids swam for almost an hour and a half before they served food. Luckily they had a couple of teenagers to help watch the kids in the pool. I wouldn't take my eyes off Olivia, it was crazy, there were so many kids jumping in, it was hard to keep an eye on them. Lucky for me, she grew tired of swimming and decided to come out and play on the swingset. I took this opportunity to 'work the crowd' so to speak. I asked around for good pediatricians, asked about moms groups, asked about the area. I gave out my number to a couple of people who, as of yet, I have not heard from.

When they finally brought the dinner, they brought out a ton of food...salmon, chicken, beef, sandwiches and they had a bar going for the adults, too. After dinner, the kids worked on breaking a pinata, then they got princess tattoos. It was about this time (7:30pm) that another mom and I tried to leave with our girls, but then the birthday girl's mom started to bring out the fabulous cakes. So, of course, we had to try some cake. We literally had 2 or 3 bites before we had to coax our girls away from the party, it was close to 8pm which is Olivia's bedtime. It really was a great party and the mom gave out some terrific goody baskets with tons of princess stuff.

5 comments:

nowwhatelmo said...

Wow. Sounds like a great party though!

Anonymous said...

That does sound rather long.

Sraikh said...

WOW..I thought that 2 hours would be too long for 4 yr olds.
I hope that you meet some SAHMs soon!

ramblingmuse said...

Wow - who knew 4-year olds could close down the house? ;-)

It sounds like it was a great time for both the girls and you!

catankgirl said...

I wish I had been invited to that party!