Monday, August 21, 2006

church shopping, continued

So I'm still looking for a church. I tried out the Lutheran church, it's really close to our house, but it seemed a little big. And it just didn't feel diverse, I enjoyed it though.

Yesterday, I tried out the Presbyterian church downtown. I really liked it, it's more what I'm used to. It reminded me of visiting my grandmother and going to church with her...she was Presbyterian. It's a traditional church and they seem to have lots of young families. They have a great sunday school program and the teacher even called me to get our address because she wanted to send a card to Olivia.

I went to what they call the "blended service" which has a mix of praise music and traditional hymns. This type of service seems to be popular out here, I've noticed lots of churches around here have "blended services". I liked the pastor's sermon/message which is important. I actually felt at 'home' there, but the downside is that it is located downtown (it's probably only 15 minutes from our house, though).

There's another church I've heard about, but it's a 'Bible church'. What exactly does that mean? I'm used to going to mainstream Protestant chuches with traditional services, not sure I'm ready for a 'Bible church'. They also have a "blended service", too, so maybe I should give it a try. We'll see...

1 comment:

ramblingmuse said...

"Bible Church" sounds intimidating, doesn't it? I think it just means there's a heavy emphasis on doctrine and theology. For the most part, the few "bible church" services I went to were pretty much just like any other service I've been to. It just had more of an scholarly slant to it. Anyway, good luck finding a church. It's one of those "you'll know it when you find it"-type of things.