Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A special gift

One of the gifts Olivia received for her birthday was really special. It's from one of her close friends from school, A. It's a book called 'The Bracelet' and it's written by a Japanese-American writer and is a story about the internment camps during WWII. I was teary-eyed as I read the story, it is a wonderful story about friendship. It was about a little girl, Emi, who had to leave her home with her family to go into the internment camp. Her friend from school came by her home to give her a gift to always remember her. It was a bracelet. However, when they arrived at the camp, she found she lost the bracelet and was so upset. She came to realize, though, that she didn't need the bracelet to remember her friend, that her memories would help her to remember her friend.

It is really a beautifully written story. My husband's parents were in the internment camps when they were little along with their families. I'm so glad Olivia was given this book so she could learn about the camps in a way she can understand.

1 comment:

ramblingmuse said...

Aww...just hearing about the book makes me teary! :-) I'll have to pick up a copy for my nieces/nephew.