Friday, April 28, 2006

More about our French student

She is from the south of France near Beziers right near the Mediterranean. She has an older sister and an 18 month old brother! That's why her teacher placed her with us, she likes kids. During the day, she is dropped off by us or our neighbor to the bus stop to meet up with her teacher and class. They take the bus to the BART (train) station and take it into San Francisco. Every day they go sightseeing in the city, yesterday they all rented bikes and biked across the Golden Gate Bridge. Finally, the weather has cleared here and it is spring...or should I say spring has finally sprung! The last couple of day it has really warmed up in the afternoon and it has been sunny.

I have to say, I didn't realize teenagers eat so much or maybe she just has a healthy appetite! She takes 2 sandwiches for lunch with a snack and dessert. She eats well for dinner, too and she has tried new things. Last night I made a Johnny Marzetti casserole, it's a pasta dish with ground meat. I use turkey because I don't eat beef. I told her after the fact that it was turkey, she was surprised. I think she likes turkey though because her family eats it for Christmas. We also had a conversation about peanut butter. I know they don't have this readily available in France and I thought French people didn't like it, but at the grocery store, E, told me she loves peanut butter! Also, I learned that although she doesn't eat corn, which I've been told (Amy!) the French don't eat, she says her family eats it. I asked her about pumpkin, she says she has eaten the soup and likes it. I'll have to let her try some pumpkin bread and see what she thinks.

Okay, in all fairness, I should tell you that her mother is from Luxembourg and apparently the people there eat peanut butter! I'm surprised, but...then again, I don't know a thing about Luxembourg. Maybe that's why they eat turkey, too!

2 comments:

Amy Plum said...

OK - I am amazed that a French girl likes peanut butter. She must be extremely open-minded and adventurous!

4texans said...

She also liked the pb&j I made her and the Reeses I got for her to try! She said she thinks people in Luxembourg eat peanut butter...go figure...