Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Kissing quandry

Did you know that when French people greet each other, they do an 'air kiss' on each cheek? Well, when I first greeted E, I shook her hand and then I brought her home. The first 2 days, she kissed us good night and good morning, I think my husband was caught more by surprise than me. I never did this with the French family I lived with, I guess because they were used to Americans. When I lived in France and I did meet French people, I did get accustomed to the kissing.

So then all of a sudden, E stopped kissing us good night and good morning. I'm a bit perplexed. Do you think we offended her? Or maybe she understands it's our culture not to do this? But then I'm thinking, should I be treating her like part of our family like when I kiss my girls good night? Should I ask her why she stopped? What do you think?

2 comments:

Amy Plum said...

I'm sure she caught on that it isn't "done" in the States and she doesn't want to seem weird to you.

See my posting on the subject: http://chitlinsandcamembert.blogspot.com/2006/02/hugs-and-kisses.html

If she can read English, show it to E, and maybe she'll have a laugh with you about it!

4texans said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.