Monday, April 24, 2006

How do you clean wine out of a suitcase?

So Saturday afternoon, E, our French student tells me her mother would like to talk to me on the phone, but it was too late to talk at that time in France. After she arrived she talked to her mother and her sister and I did hear her say something in French about not wanting to bother (us?). So after church on Sunday, I ask about talking to her mother, she is able to text message her mother and her mother calls. Her mother speaks very good English, much better than E! Apparently E was afraid to tell us that a wine bottle she brought as a gift broke in her suitcase and wine spilled all over her clothes, in the suitcase, and in her room. Her mother told me she was afraid to ask about washing her clothes. Of course, I told her it was no problem...of course, I do laundry about every day. So I've told E, it's no problem and if she has any other problem or questions to tell us!

There were 2 other bottles of wine that she brought, a red from Languedoc and a Muscat (I think that's a sweet white wine, anyone know?). She is from the south of France near Montpellier so maybe the wines are from her region.

4 comments:

Amy Plum said...

4texans,
your postings about E are so funny, because I can totally picture this shy French girl who is staying with you.

My French husband's family is from the south. I remember when we talked his little country cousin into moving to New York to become a chef, and when he got there he was afraid to talk to anyone. (He now owns his own restaurant.)

French teenagers (besides the ones throwing fire-bombs at the police in the strikes, of course) don't seem to be as upfront or outspoken as American teenagers when you get them one-on-one. They live at home a lot longer, get their driver's licences much later, if at all, and aren't as independent, for the most part.

She's probably just feeling completely intimidated, even though it sounds like you have gone above and beyond to make her feel at home. I would break your promise and speak French with her!!! But not while anyone's around, and tell her not to tell anyone!

Amy Plum said...

And drink the Muscat with dessert!

4texans said...

Well, I did break down and speak some French to her. I could speak as much as I want, but I want her to practice her French.

I'm not a big fan of sweet wines, but we're having friends over on Sunday for dinner, so I'll break open the wine then.

Thanks for posting, Amy!

catankgirl said...

I think club soda can get out wine!