Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Car buying is such a game

And you really have to know how to play it. My hubby is in charge of negotiating (with a little help from our friend, M), cuz I am horrible with numbers and finance. So we are working with the Toyota dealer and the Honda dealer. So far, the Toyota dealer offered us a good deal, but they only have a white (frost pearl) minivan on their lot. Both our cars are white or some variation of white and it would be nice to have a different color. I think he is hunting down another color to try and close this sale!!

We've been negotiating with Honda, but they just haven't come down to what we wanted. I talked to the salesman today. He called and I think he was trying to figure out how serious we are and if we made a decision. I told him we thought he would come down more and he was hemming and hawing, saying they offered (only)$400 over the invoice...blah...blah. I told him we haven't bought a van yet and haven't made a decision and that he would have to talk to my hubby this evening. We are looking at the 2006, and we know they have to get rid of those since the 2007 models are coming in.

We came so close to buying a new van last night, but decided we didn't want to rush into it. We almost bought the white Sienna, but the color was holding me back. They are both great vans, maybe the Honda is a bit nicer, it had more power and more control in turning. But both are better than the Nissan Maxima we have. Can't figure out if we get the Sienna which can hold 7 people total (vs. 8 in the Honda) if we will miss out on the extra passenger space? The captain's seat in the Honda is really tiny anyway so I'm not sure how often we would use it. If friends came to visit us, say...a family of 4, then I'm sure we could all squeeze into the Honda, although it might be a bit uncomfortable. I know in the future, we might be doing carpools, etc. so it will be nice either way to have space for carpooling.

No comments: