Sunday, March 05, 2006

Role reversal

When I was growing up, I looked up to my brother who is 6 years older than me. I followed him around with his friends and pestered him. He helped me to read. I remember he had such imagination when he played with me. We played in a fort, in outer space and in a time machine. He is so smart, too, he has alot of knowledge. When he gave me advice, I took it.

However, now, I see myself driving in this thing called life and I see him sitting on the roadside...just sitting...not doing anything. He has not done anything with his life. He just can't seem to find himself. He has been going to school off and on for about 24 years with absolutely nothing to show for it. He is working a lowly job and is just existing in life.

The last advice I took from him was when I was a freshman in college and he told me to ignore what our mother wanted me to do and to do what I wanted to do. That was the best advice ever! I'm proud of the fact that I finished college in 4 years. I think I am successful in life, in having a support system, in having jobs that I enjoyed, and in having a wonderful family. Although, I never made much money in my career, I can say I enjoyed most of the jobs I had.

I've tried to give my brother advice, to motivate him to live up to his potential, but he is still sitting by the road...just sitting...

2 comments:

4texans said...

Well, there is alot of family stuff that I just can't get in to here. I would have to start a whole other blog for that...

Leslie said...

It's really sad to watch someone you love just sit. I know the feeling.