Thursday, May 10, 2007

Growing a Garden

I've been trying to garden a little. That's what I love about California, people here really know how to garden. And it's fun to grow stuff!

While my in-laws were here helping out after I had surgery, my father-in-law helped us with the yard. We had this huge stubborn birds of paradise we were trying to dig up next to our house. We also wanted to move a camelia to a shadier spot (sadly, it did not survive the move). So my father-in-law finished digging those plants up for us and transplanted them.

Here are the birds of paradise, okay the first set of plants in the first picture don't look like they are doing so well, but I'm hoping they will 'take' and look better later in the year. The second one is a plant I moved about a month ago or so.





Yesterday, I finally planted some herbs in my 'herb garden'. This is where the birds of paradise and camelia used to be. In the fall, I'm also going to grow peas here. I'm thinking of planting some flowers around the edge to make it look nice.
Right now, the herbs I am growing are mint(in the pot), basil, italian parsley, sage, oregano, cilantro, and rosemary. I also want to plant dill, I've heard it attracts ladybugs and ladybugs are good for your garden!




Oh and I also have 2 tomato plants..a better boy and big beef. It's fun to see the tomatoes growing!

The only trouble I have is with the snails that like to eat my plants. A mom from my mommy board who happens to be a farmer gave me some advice. She said I could use eggshells, set them out to dry then crush and scatter around the plants. She also suggested some traps, I might try this too. You fill an empty can with some beer and bury it in the ground with just enough room for them to move in. They are attracted to the beer and then drown.

2 comments:

ramblingmuse said...

Nice! I planted tomatoes one year and I loved seeing the plants grow. They are sooo much yummier when they come from your backyard! :) We also planted bell peppers and herbs too. The bell peppers grew really easily but they were pretty small for all the effort that was put into it. I'm not sure the eggshells do much for the snails, but they are good for fertilizer. I crush and scatter too. :) Good luck with the plants. You'll have to post pics when you harvest!

Bon Appetit!

catankgirl said...

The tomatos plants look great! Sorry about the camelia, I love those, I want one in our yard, but I'm afraid of anything nice that I will kill it.

I just smush the snails when I find them. :-0