Saturday, September 19, 2009

Some good...some bad...just keep swimming...

So yesterday I took Nicholas to get some bloodwork done and overall he did well despite some bad behavior while waiting. I felt so bad about him having bloodwork that I took him to a local feed store where they have a small petting zoo in back. He was excited about the animals and we had fun till he started playing with the dirt, then we left. He was so tired after lunch, just one yawn after another that I decided to try to get him to take a nap. After only 15 minutes of rocking and minimal crying, I was astounded he fell asleep. I thought this was a great thing.

I tried to wake him after an hour and a half but had real difficulty and he became a real bear, throwing tantrums when he didn't get his way. Bed time was difficult and it took an hour of rocking while holding till he finally gave in and went to sleep. This was a real battle, it's like he was fighting the sleep. The previous night I only had to rock him about 15 minutes.

Today has been hard as he has been extremely hyper, I think because we are not in our usual weekday routine and everyone is home. We've had several tantrums and we can't get him to calm down unless we put something on tv that he will watch. I'm praying for patience for all of us. When he is having fun and everything is going smoothly he is a joy. I hate having to say 'no' because I know he'll get mad but he has to learn to accept 'no' and to learn the rules in our family.

This afternoon, I had some one on one time with Olivia and it was nice. I learned that she didn't want to eat her fruit in her lunch from home at school because she was embarrassed by the 'kiddy' container. We had a nice time eating lunch, shopping for books for her and we spent time together while she enjoyed an ice cream cone. I plan to spend one on one time with Claire next Saturday.

I had a little bug earlier in the week, probably from all the travel and the stress. Hubby is still getting over his. We have been so blessed by all the help we have received with meals and errands and help with picking up the girls from school. We are so thankful to everyone's support and especially to my friends Heidi and Tracie whose families helped take care of the girls while we were on our last trip to Kazakhstan.

3 comments:

Henry's mom said...

Hang in there, it will get better it will just take TIME! Even though Henry was only 9.5 months old when he came home it was still very hard for both of us. At the time I didn't realize just how hard it was on both us us till much later when I looked back. Henry really morned his old life he was very withdrawn, not right away but within a month or 2 of being home. I was getting really worried something was wrong with him.

It is so hard on these kids, no matter how old they are. It is really tough on us too.

You are doing an amazing job, cut yourself a break and do not be too hard on yourself, you are doing the best you can.

((Hugs))

kitzkazventure said...

Gosh, so many similar experiences for us! I love the pics! He is so handsome! We watched alot of shows too for calming. He really liked teletubbies and curious george in the beginning. I was convinced it was because there was less talking in English! Who knows. He wouldn't watch the baby einsteins but we moved on to Thomas, JayJay, and anything on public television to learn some more english. People always comment about his vocabulary and I am sure it is all the "vocabulary" focused shows on PBS and disney playhouse shows that broadened his skills! I also did not allow him to watch anything silly (ie. sponge bob), fast (anything cartoon network), aggressive(spiderman, batman, powerrangers), etc because of the "example" and stimulation factor. I do not necessarily think those shows are bad but not what I wanted him to "model" or learn his firsts from at the time. The shows he watched were considered "baby" ones by alot of his friends but that is how we were treating him and he has done well with the gradual introduction of overstimulating things (which unfortunatey is all of the kids shows, toys, etc these days)

I think you guys are doing an awesome job especially taking into consideration your other children and making sure they have time to be alone with you!

The Robeys said...

We arrived home on July 30th with our 3 1/2 year old from Taraz, Kaz. It sounds as though they have similar babyhouse experiences in that they had only been there for a short while. Lukas entered the Umit babyhouse just after he turned 2.

During the trip home and the first couple of weeks back home we often wondered what we had done. On good days we were overjoyed, on bad days we sometimes didn't know what to do. He has been home just under 2 months now and things are much better. Feel free to check out our blog. It might help to read a similar experience. No two kids are exactly alike but it should get better soon.

www.oursilkroadjourney.blogspot.com

Hang in there and feel free to email.
Lynda, mom to Lukas (Taraz, 7/09)