Friday, May 22, 2009

Heart Palpitations and Knots in my Stomach

I'm in total shock. We just got the call. Our dossier sailed through the MFA and the MOE (Ministry of Education). We've been assigned to Almaty and our LOI is on the way...for non adoptive people, that means the Letter of Invitation that the government is sending to us.

I was expecting us to travel at the earliest mid August, now it's only about 3 weeks away. It is going to be a whirlwind with all the activities I have scheduled and all the things on my to do list.

The good and the bad: Almaty=Big city, modern conveniences BUT this means we will have to make 3 trips there. We were planning to go to the coast alone on June 19th to celebrate our 10 year anniversary....I guess we will be going to Kazakhstan instead! I meant to learn Russian, I know we will have a translator but I was hoping I could learn some to communicate a bit. The good thing is Olivia and Claire's grandparents are coming here in 3 weeks anyway so hopefully they can stay and take care of the girls. The bad thing is I will probably miss Olivia's performance from her Summer Theater workshop.

Next week, the first things on our list to do are: update FBI prints, update our medical forms, possibly update our homestudy, order new unmarked money, get photographs for our visas. This is just what I can think of at the moment.

5 comments:

Nat said...

oh, my! How exiting is this!! I cna teach you a few words if you want, just let me know what sentences/words you'd like to know.

Congratulations, you're are one step closer to being a family of 5:)

Lou Ann said...

I've just recently found your blog and am as surprised as you are that you've moved through the "ministries" in Kaz so quickly. Congratulations and good luck with the last minute whirlwind of packing. I adopted my daughter Lexie from Aktau Kaz 2 years ago. In fact, at this time 2 years ago I was in a plane over Kaz getting ready to land in Almaty after 36 hours of travel so it's exciting to read about someone getting ready to go through a similar experience. My blog is www.louannsadoption.blogspot.com if you'd like to read about my adventure in Kaz and "meet" my beautiful Kaz baby who just turned 3 last weekend.

Best of luck to you and if you have any questions you haven't had answered yet feel free to email me. I'm always glad to help families on their way to Kaz.

Safe travels!

Lou Ann & Lexie too
louannquast@yahoo.com

Jennifer said...

Oh my gosh- how thrilling!!! I could tell by your subject that something good happened. Wow! Awesome! Congratulations!! Next stop- Kazakhstan!

Anonymous said...

Wow Katherine. Congrats.
I am so excited for you..

4texans said...

Thank you!