Saturday, December 12, 2009

Wow! 3 months have gone by so fast...

Nicholas is just such a different child than the child we met in the orphanage. He is still a very active, rambunctious boy, but sweeter and even more loving than when we first met him. He is developing very well in all areas but still needs work in socializing and in discipline.

We are so lucky that I have been able to stay home with him, I think that has been the best for him so he could get used to family life. Lately, he keeps asking to go to school, especially when I drop Claire off at daycare. In January, he will start going to preschool. I think we found a good fit for him, although it is not the Montessori school where I expected to send him and where the girls attended. This particular school has much smaller classes and the teacher for his class has been there for 13 years. The director adopted a 4 year old girl from Russia about 6 years ago, so they are familiar with language issues, etc.

This past summer when we met Nicholas, one thing that struck me was the way he hung his head down. Now, he holds his head up high. He is still a very active boy, but is able to focus on some activities, too, especially with his TRIO blocks. He is better at obeying his mom and dad and is really loving. Yesterday and today, he has been giving hugs. He was also telling me 'mama happy' and 'Nicholas happy'.

This summer we notice Nicholas was barely able to make a scribble with a crayon, and now he can draw bats, spiders, sun, sharks on our driveway with sidewalk chalk. He rides his tricycle like a maniac and I *think* Santa might be bringing him a bicycle for Christmas...he is going to love it!


I've asked the girls what they think about having a little brother and Claire says 'good', Olivia says 'good' with a little more hesitation. Claire and Nicholas fight a lot as siblings do, but I really think Claire loves having him as a brother, she asked that he start coming to church because they would be in the same Sunday School class. Olivia is like a little mommy to Nicholas, she rushes to him anytime he gets hurt. I think her hesitation has more to do with her just being older and wanting to have some privacy and space.

All in all, I think everything is going very well, I can't believe it has only been 3 months.

Decorating a gingerbread house:

Fun at our church's Christmas workshop:

First haircut, before picture, during and after:



2 comments:

Julie said...

How Adorable! Nicholas looks great and so happy and big! It is awesome to read how well he is adjusting, well all of you.
Thank you so much for all of your emails while I was in Kaz. It helped so much while we were struggling.
I continue to check your blog and love to see the progress. I wil keep sending happy thoughts and prayers your way!

Julie R

Stephanie and Gary said...

Katherine, let's see if we can skype one of these days. I saw you online but I was looking like a bedraggled mess ;-))) This post is wonderul - I am so happy for you and Nicholas and his acclimation to life in a family. Mama Happy Nicholas Happy. How much better can you get? Much love from Kaz where we are about to finally peel ourselves off the bed after a rest from this morning and head off to a late lunch!
steph