Thursday, February 19, 2009

Sacrifice

I talked with Olivia for about the past 2 years about donating her hair. It was originally my idea but when she saw a picture of her friend in the salon who had donated her hair, she liked the idea of donating her hair (or maybe it was just the idea of having her picture on the wall?). She had been growing her hair out for about a year and a half and her hair reached the right length. In fact, I felt it was just getting too long. It would get tangled, and she hated when I tried to brush her hair.

We made an appointment about 2 weeks ago, but then the girls both became very sick with fevers and ear infections. We had to cancel the appointment and Olivia was upset and still wanted to go...but she was just too sick. So on Monday, when it was a holiday and we had some time, I made appointments for the girls for hair cuts. Claire just needed a trim. I told Olivia she would get her haircut that afternoon. I realize now, it just wasn't enough time for her to feel ready for the haircut. She protested and I said we'll see what the stylist says and Claire will go first and she can think about it.

While Claire was getting her hair cut, Olivia had time to think about it and look at the pictures of all the kids on the wall who donated hair. I told her she could get a little cut off or get it cut off short to donate. She decided to go for it. I was worried she was going to flip out afterwards, but she seemed fine. And she looked so cute and stylish with her hair cut in an A line bob. She looks so different now because she usually wore a ponytail with her hair completely out of her face. Now it sort of frames her face.



Unfortunately, the next morning on Tuesday, the full ramifications of what we did surfaced. Olivia started moping around not wanting to go to school. She followed me throughout the house and clung to me. This is so unlike her, she loves school and is very independent. She had tears and said she missed her ponytail and I tried to comfort her and explain what a great thing she did to help kids who did not have hair. I tried to explain that her hair will grow whereas some kids never can grow hair. Oh, I felt like the worst mother ever, I pushed it on her too much. I walked her to class and explained to the teacher she might have a bad day.

Later her teacher said she was fine and he even took a picture. I think she enjoyed getting the attention. Tuesday night, my wonderful husband suggested we go to dinner at Denny's to celebrate her haircut and donation. I think this helped tremendously.

Wednesday, she told me she thought it would be different, that her hair would have been longer. Then I searched on the internet for Locks of Love, the organization that receives donated hair to make hairpieces for children who have temporary or permanent hair loss. I showed her pictures of some of the kids who received hairpieces and pictures of kids, like her, who also donated their hair. I gave her big hugs and told her how proud I am of her. I reminded her of her Uncle Jay who routinely donates his hair and 2 of her school friends who also donated their hair. I think she is now beginning to understand what joy her sacrifice will bring to another child.

1 comment:

Stephanie and Gary said...

I love this post -- what a wonderful thing. I recall taking my neice 2 years ago to get her ponytail cut for Locks of Love. Olivia looks gorgeous with the new 'do! A new kind of gorgeous!
SK