Friday, August 03, 2007

Houston

Last week we spent in Houston, actually in a suburb called Katy. We used to live there a few years ago. It was so nice seeing friends and seeing lots of things.

We drove down from Dallas on a Monday and had lunch with my family at Katz's Express (NY style deli) then we went to meet my childhood friend Heather. She has lived her whole life in Houston and this particular week, she and her family were packing up for a move to Utah! I am so excited for her. And it was so great to see her before she moved. She is one of the people who has influenced me greatly in my faith in God.

We decided to take the kids to a bounce house and afterwards, she and her husband had dinner with the girls and I at Johnny Carino's. Maybe someday we'll get to visit them in Utah.

After dinner, the girls and I headed over to our friend's, Laurel and Fernando, where the girls and I would stay all week. They have a 2 1/2 year old and 4 month old, both girls.

On Tuesday, we all headed to the Children's museum where I was able to meet with other friends. I just love this museum, it is one of the best children's museums I have been to. It's too bad we didn't have more time.

Wednesday,we were going to go to the pool, but Claire woke up with a fever :(. Fortunately, it only lasted about a day. Thursday, we headed out to NASA space center and met with more friends. Although I lived a large portion of my life in the Houston area, I never went to NASA. It had some wonderful shows and exhibits, and again, we didn't have enough time to do everything. Most of it is geared for older elementary school aged kids so it was over my kids' heads, but Olivia really seemed interested in hearing about space exploration and was attentive. Claire, on the other hand, just wanted to run in circles!

On Friday, we took the kids to a $4 movie at Katy Mills mall called Surf's Up. It was okay, but not suited for 2 year olds. After Claire finished her snacks in all of 10 minutes, she started climbing on the seats, walking up and down the steps, hanging on the railing in front of us. At least Olivia enjoyed the movie. Afterwards we had lunch at the Rainforest cafe which my kids always enjoy because there is so much for them to look at. After lunch, Laurel and I walked around the mall with the kids and shopped.

Saturday, we finally headed off to Dallas to stay at my in-laws. Although it was very humid in Houston, it just didn't feel as HOT as home and there was so much to do. Next time maybe we can go to the science museum and also up to Brenham to tour the Blue Bell (best tasting ice cream in the country) facility.

No comments: