Thursday, August 09, 2007

Dallas and then HOME

So we have been in Dallas for about the past 2 weeks. We have really been having alot of fun. We have been staying at my in-laws and the girls' cousin stayed over here as well, last week.

Last week, we chilled out when we first arrived so we could rest up. Then we went to a play in Arlington put on at a children's theater. They had a play about Nate the Great, from a book series. Olivia enjoyed it, again, not for 2 year olds. And I thought it was rather boring, but I'm glad Olivia liked it.

The next day, we drove southwest of Fort Worth to Fossil Rim Wildlife center. It was awesome! It's a place where you can drive through and feed wild animals, deer, zebra, ostriches, giraffes, etc. It was lots of fun as we fended off the ostriches who tried to stick their heads in the windows. I highly recommend this place to families. It was enjoyable for all ages. Halfway through the drive, there is a place to stop and shop, eat, and pet goats. It's really an all day excursion to drive out there, do the drive and return home.

One evening, I was able to have a 'girls night out', with my friend, Katy Hubener (you may not recall, she ran for a state office in Grand Prairie, TX). We went to see No Reservations, it was the cutest movie. We were inspired to eat some food and partake of good wine afterwards. I had so much fun!

Another day, we met my friend and her kids at the Frontiers of Flight Museum near Dallas Love field. It was an ideal place to meet since we are staying south of Dallas and she lives east of Dallas. It was pretty nice actually, they had lots of interesting planes to look at and even the actual Apollo 7 module. There is also a small airplane themed play area for kids. My friend and I ate at Campisi's nearby (not the original one though), we recalled how popular it was in college at SMU. We became friends during our freshman year when we lived on the same floor. I was disappointed in the pizza, it just wasn't as good as I remember.

Then, on the next day, Thursday, my hubby arrived to have some vacation and drive back with us to California. While he was here, we did some family things with his family and we also managed to see a couple of good movies, Bourne Ultimatum and I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry. The first was really good but hard to watch because of the shaky filming style (I don't know how else to describe it), the latter one was just hilarious.

Sunday, we drove up north of Dallas to meet up with my friend that boards a horse up there. She boards it at a small farm, run by a really nice couple. We got to meet her beautiful horse, brush it, feed it, pet it. There were lots of other animals, too. Several dogs, one named 'General' which loved to play fetch. We also saw some cows, one poor cow is named Forrest Gump because he was born with a neurological disoder and can't walk properly, but he is really sweet.

This past Tuesday, the girls and I drove way up north to Oklahoma (just kidding) to meet up with 2 of my internet friends from my October mommy board. DJ from the Texas Happenings blog graciously hosted us, her neighborhood has fantastic pools. Our other friend, Kristie, and her son joined us. It was so nice to visit and get to know each other in real life. And all the kids played well together. The pools were lots of fun. One had a slide which Olivia loved going down, but Claire was too scared to go by herself. I ended up holding her on my lap.

Wednesday, I took the kids to show them where I used to work at Northwood University (8 years ago) and introduce them to some people I used to work with. Later in the afternoon, after their naps, we drove north again. First to go shopping at Grapevine Mills outlet, then to meet friends at their house. I've had fun shopping this trip, especially since there isn't much shopping back home. I've most enjoyed shopping the sales at the Gymboree outlet.

Today, Thursday, we have just been spending the day relaxing and packing. We are headed back home tomorrow....woo hoo! We have really been having a great time, but now I'm ready to go home and enjoy our time before the girls start school. We are leaving early Friday and expect to make it home sometime Sunday.

1 comment:

phins_jazy said...

Sounds like you've had a wonderful trip. I'm totally jealous of the Grapevine Mills trip. :) We normally go there once a year just before school starts. We didn't get to make the trip this year though. Have a safe journey home!