Monday, October 19, 2009

Claire


We didn't have to worry much about Claire over the summer, but I think she just wasn't old enough to understand what was going on in our family. More recently we have had more challenges, although I do have to confess I have found Claire to be more of a challenge to parent in general.

Nicholas and Claire are 12 months apart in age but will be 2 years apart in school as long as we are able to 'hold back' Nicholas 1 year from Kindergarten. Many times, they get along well, usually it is to 'gang' up on us! Many times, they do not get along well and fight over wanting to play with the same toys (like building toys). It's actually been helpful though in facilitating lessons in sharing and taking turns with toys. She has been helpful in helping me to teach Nicholas how to play a game. So far those games include Elefun and Dora Bingo.

Claire started Kindergarten this year and will be turning 5 on October 24th. We are planning a big party for her at a place with animals, pony rides, a bounce house and a mini train. I felt it would be better for Nicholas not to have a party at our house so soon. She still loves singing and she continues to take a ballet class after school like her sister. She talks a lot and asks tons of questions...I think it's payback, I remember asking lots of questions when I was young.

She loves Kindergarten and is doing well. She is a good reader and learning more math. She is doing well socially, I was so amazed the first week of school when she came home talking about all her new friends. She had a much harder time in preschool socially.

About a week after we were home, Claire flat out told me she didn't want Nicholas in our family because he was too crazy and didn't speak English. I have seen, however, how her love has grown for Nicholas and she loves to give him hugs and kisses at night. We definitely have some sibling rivalry to contend with, but we had that anyway. I suppose that now she is the 'middle child', she is trying to find her place in the family.

In November, Claire will be having surgery to remove her tonsils and adenoids. I didn't realize how HUGE they were until I looked in her mouth this summer. She snores horribly and I think it affects her sleep. It's a little scary, but I'm looking forward to a more restful Claire. We are proud of Claire and what a good big sister she has been, we are proud of Olivia, too, of course.

2 comments:

kitzkazventure said...

Your girls sound like wonderful sisters! Great updates on everyone! Glad things are progressing with Nicholas. Many things sound similar to our life those first few months especially the growing part! ;) Nick grew 5 inches the first year! Crazy trying to keep clothes on him!
I'm jealous of all the food your Nicholas eats...we have a picky one! I was so ready to feed him great healthy food and he would barely eat anything....very atypical for the adoption realm but our Nick always likes to be different! ;) Just like his daddy! Have a great weekend! karen

Stephanie and Gary said...

Katherine I was so happy to read the updates of your whole family, and to see the progress of Nicholas' big sisters growing in their love for him. One day they won't remember life without him. Your daughters remind me so much of my own in so many ways. I look forward to them meeting one day! And I know they will.
Have your Kaz friend come over again to see more of what Nicholas is thinking ;-) I bet in a few months you'll really know!
Shall we speak this week?
Steph