Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Ooops I did it again....


When I originally started this blog almost 3 years ago, I was chronically my recovery from a kitchen accident and subsequent surgery on my left hand. I don't know, it's something about knives.... I had another accident. I was home while the girls were in school. I just finished chopping the potatoes and went to wash my chef's knife. I was washing it and it slipped out of my hand and cut the first knuckle on my right hand. I took a deep breath, washed it and wrapped it. I tried to remain calm, all the while, praying I didn't do any serious damage. I called my husband at work and asked him if he was sitting down and calm. I calmly told him I had another knife accident and I might need him to take me to the ER.

Thankfully he just works down the street less than a mile from our home. He took me to the ER, they triaged me and sent me to urgent care. The whole time I am recalling my accident about 3 years ago when I severed a tendon and a nerve and partially cut another tendon in my left hand requiring major surgery and physical therapy. Thankfully, I got an awesome P.A. who tended to my fears and even had xrays done to make sure the bone was not nicked. He even poked in my wound and showed us the bone...uh, okay, that was a little much for me! Anyway, after it was cleaned, he put dermabond on it and it is now healed. I had to wear a splint so I wouldn't bend my finger so the cut would heal. I think my husband is getting me safety gloves for Christmas!

2 comments:

catankgirl said...

Oh no Katherine! I'm so sorry. How scary. I'm glad it's ok. Maybe you need to just hire a cook or at least order take-out more!

4texans said...

Jessica-hubby is probably going to get me those special 'chainmail' gloves for Christmas! At least it was relatively minor. I threw the splint away about 5 days later, I couldn't stand it even though the instructions said 10 days.